As the art of Japanese Furoshiki becomes more and more popular, there are many different varieties available. However, as with any product one item is vastly different from another in quality and durability. In this blog post we discuss what to look out for when buying your Furoshiki.
When choosing a Furoshiki, there are several important factors to consider to ensure you make the right choice that aligns with your preferences and needs:
1. Material Quality:
Consider the type and quality of the fabric used in the Furoshiki. Look for brands that use high-quality materials, such as organic cotton, silk, or other sustainable options, for both aesthetics and durability. Cotton is an easier fabric to use, as it does not slip when you tie knots. Silk on the other hand has a more luxurious feel, but is not as easy to look after 9generally not machine washable) and may not be as durable.
2. Sustainability Practices:
Evaluate the brand's commitment to sustainability. Brands that prioritise eco-friendly practices, including sustainable sourcing, minimal waste production, and ethical manufacturing, are excellent choices for environmentally conscious consumers. After all, when you're choosing a product that lasts a lifetime it makes sense to also be choosing something that was made with minimal harm to our environment.
3. Design Variety:
Explore the brand's range of Furoshiki designs, patterns, and colours. Choose a brand that offers a wide variety of options to suit different occasions and personal preferences. Choosing designs that are not readily available in fabric stores gives you more value for money and makes your gifts look more unique.
4. Size Options:
Consider the availability of various Furoshiki sizes. Having a wider range of different sizing options allows you to choose the appropriate fabric for gifts of different dimensions.
5. Reputation and Reviews:
Read customer reviews and research the brand's reputation. Positive feedback and a strong reputation for product quality and customer service are indicators of a reliable brand and product offering.
6. Educational Resources:
Check if the brand provides educational resources such as tutorials and videos on Furoshiki wrapping techniques. This can be especially helpful for beginners.
7. Price and Budget:
Determine your budget and compare prices among different brands. Keep in mind that high-quality and sustainable Furoshiki may have a slightly higher upfront cost but can offer long-term value due to their durability and reusability.
8. Shipping and Returns:
Review the brand's shipping policies, including delivery times and shipping costs. Additionally, understand the return and exchange policies in case you need to make changes to your order.
9. Customer Support:
Assess the brand's customer support. Brands with responsive and helpful customer service teams can provide assistance when needed.
10. Unique Features:
Consider any unique features or offerings that set the brand apart. Some brands may offer personalised or custom-printed Furoshiki, which can be a special touch for gift-giving.
Another thing to consider is the method by which the Furoshiki has been made. Overlocked edges are not as durable as properly folded and sewn edges.
Here's a comparison of the two:
- Purpose: Overlocking is primarily used to prevent fraying and unraveling of fabric edges. It creates a neat and finished look on the fabric's edge.
- Strength: Overlocked seams are not as strong as properly sewn and edged seams because they don't provide the same level of structural integrity. They are more about finishing edges than providing strength.
- Flexibility: Overlocked seams are flexible and suitable for stretchy fabrics or areas of a garment that need to move freely without restricting the fabric's stretch.
- Purpose: A properly sewn and edged seam is used for joining fabric pieces together securely. It provides structural strength and durability.
- Strength: Sewn and edged seams are stronger and more durable than overlocked seams. They are suitable for areas that will be subjected to tension, stress, or wear and tear.
- Flexibility: Sewn and edged seams can be tailored to the fabric type and intended use. They can be flat-felled seams, french seams, or other types that offer both strength and a clean finish.
If you need a strong and durable seam for an item that will be reused over time, a properly sewn and edged seam is the better choice. For Furoshiki, which is primarily used for wrapping and presenting gifts, a properly folded and sewn seam is typically a better choice than an overlocked seam. Here's why a properly folded and sewn seam is best for furoshiki:
- Clean and Neat Appearance: Furoshiki is often chosen for its aesthetic appeal. A properly folded and sewn seam provides a clean and polished finish, enhancing the overall presentation of the gift.
- Durability: Furoshiki can be reused multiple times, so durability is important. A sewn seam is generally more durable and secure than an overlocked seam, ensuring that the fabric doesn't fray or unravel with repeated use.
- Strength: A sewn seam can handle the tension and stress associated with tying knots or creating intricate Furoshiki wraps, making it a more reliable choice for holding the fabric together.
While an overlocked seam can be sufficient for preventing fraying on the edges of fabric in the short term, a properly folded and sewn seam is the preferred choice for Furoshiki due to its superior appearance, durability and strength. It ensures that your Furoshiki wraps not only look beautiful but also stand the test of time, making them ideal for both gift presentation and sustainable living.
For information on how to choose the perfect size for your gift please click here for our comprehensive size guide.
At FabRap, we're on a mission to make a positive difference, turning ordinary gifts into something extraordinary, and the tiresome act of gift wrapping, into a pleasant experience. When you choose FabRap for your Furoshiki, you're selecting a brand that exclusively uses properly folded and sewn seams in their production process. This commitment to quality and durability ensures that your FabRap Furoshiki not only looks stunning but also boasts superior strength and longevity. You can trust that your Furoshiki wraps will withstand the test of time, making FabRap the ideal choice for both elegant gift presentation and sustainable living.
Curious to find out more? Take a look at our fabric gift wrapping styles available here. Happy FabRapping!